Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Politics Warning

Departure from your regularly scheduled blog....I'd apologize, but it's my blog and this is what I'm feeling like posting about, right now. **grumpy face**

Kerry said, "Education, you know, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

I call shenanigans. I cannot begin explain to you how badly this perturbs me.

My father wound up in Vietnam and retired as a disabled veteran...was he uneducated? Did he not do well? Was he not smart? Did he not do his homework?

How about me? Am I uneducated? Do I lack grey matter? Did I not do my homework? Did I not do well? Yet, I wound up in the desert. Not once, not twice, not three times, but four times....and was honorably discharged, thank all that is that I was not disabled or otherwise wounded gravely. But for the grace of all that's holy go I.

What about all the men and women with bars and stars that are "stuck in Iraq"? Did they not do well? Did they not do their homework and study hard to get those bars and stars? Brass does not just fall from the sky to land so softly upon their lapels.

What about all those others like my father and myself who wore stripes instead of brass, yet have degrees? Are they just slackers who deserve nothing better than Iraq?

What about those like my mother who never got a high school diploma, yet can run circles around Kerry (and many officers or other political ass holes) with her mental acuity? Is he saying she would deserve to be in Iraq because she chose a different path in life?

No one deserves to be "stuck in Iraq" - and it certainly should not be used as a boogie man with false statements and generic threats.

Our soldiers don't deserve to be in that situation. The poor Iraqis don't deserve to be in this situation. No one deserves it. And, they certainly don't deserve it just because they couldn't get a good grade in school, or because they chose a different path than higher education.




There is some knitting content, actually. I finished Kate's socks last night. They are drying right now. I'll take some photos of them this evening and post the particulars. I like how they turned out. The pink one I made just a wee bit longer than the purple because of foot size differential. The purple was really snug on her smaller foot, so I figured it would be wise. Here's hoping I wasn't too far off on my estimations.