Thursday, July 27, 2006

Reading Stuff

1. One book that changed your life:

I Will not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion by Dawna Markova

This was the very first book I wrote a professional review for, and I have to say that it still impacts me today. I was inspired by this book in so many ways.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:

The Deed of Paksenarrion: Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon

It's the first book in a series (and yes, I've read the series a ridiculous number of times). I've purchased this book and given it away so many times that I've long since lost count. I rarely can re-read books without several years going by; however, this series is one that I can enjoyably read at least once a year.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:

Well, it's not one...unfortunately...but:

Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills: Naked into the Wilderness by John McPherson, Geri McPherson

and

Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places by Steve Brill

I've never found one, definitive, book for all. However, these two books together would give a good guide for the beginner. If it absolutely, positively, had to be just one, I would go with the Primitive Wilderness book.

4. One book that made you laugh:

Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

5. One book that made you cry:

An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison

6. One book that made you think:

Alpha and Omega: The Search for the Beginning and End of the Universe by Charles Seife

7. One book that you wish had been written:

The Rebirth of the Sun by yours truly.

The one in my mind....yup, it's still not finished....two whole chapters **gasp**
**laughs at herself** The Great American Novelist I am not.

Oh, you wanted one by a real author? Alrighty...

How about The Young Dresden by Jim Butcher

8. One book that you wish had never been written:

The Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card

Absolutely and completely the most frustrating book I've ever read. It went flying across the room when I was done with it. It was so obvious he was rushing to finish the book. The last 20 pages cover what could have easily (and should have been) another 100 pages of information. Very, very frustrating read, indeed.

9. One book you’re currently reading:

Marker by Robin Cook

10. One book you’ve been meaning to read:

MPLS and VPN Architectures, Vol. 1 by Ivan Pepelnjak, Jim Guichard

11. One book by a classic author that you enjoyed:

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri