Saturday, January 14, 2006

Some Works in Progress

They aren't the best photos I've ever taken. I'm just learning how to use my camera phone, since my other camera is impossible to upload photos off unless I'm at work due to the no floppy issue here at the house.

But, thought I'd show you all a little of what I have in progress. The shawls have been on hold for a while. Mostly because the people I was making them for faded out of my life, so the impetuous to create them kind of faded. I will, eventually, finish them. For now, however, don't expect to see those progress bars move much.

I've started on a set of socks using the Universal Sock Pattern:

I really like this yarn, though the colors are obnoxious. Sometimes a girl's just got to have a bit of obnoxious in her life. *chuckles*

Yarn: Meilenweit Fantasy, color 4790, dye lot . 80% wool, 20% polyamid. I got it at my LYS on a lark.

Needles: 5 dpns. Size 2 (US) Clover bamboo.

They are 64 stitches around. It's a perfect fit, so far. I've definitely decided I much prefer 5 needles to four.

I'm also working on the cabled scarf, using the Irish Hiking Scarf pattern, and just cutting off one of the cables.

Definitely not the best of photos. But, you get an idea.

Yarn: Lamb's Pride, color M-26 Medieval Red, dyelot 049. 85% wool, 15% mohair. 113g = 125 yds.

Weight: Bulky. 3 stitches per inch.

Needles: size 11 (US). Clover bamboo.

28 stitches across. It's moving along pretty fast, which is good. Considering I should be called Myrtle the Turtle for how slow I knit, I need all the help I can get to get this done by February. I did the little bit shown here in a couple of hours today. Not too shabby, considering I was entertaining my son at the same time. That strange thing you see at the bottom of the scarf is how I store my cable needle when I'm not using it. *chuckles*

I'm also just starting (and will be very, very slow with this one) a lace project for myself. Considering it's for myself, I promise you it will be the slowest to move of any active project on tap.

The pattern I'm using is coming from Lavish Lace by Carol Rasmussen Noble and Cheryl Potter. I chose "A Season of Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness" (p62). Admittedly it calls for suri lace, but I'm using merino and enjoying the feel of it. The swatch turned out nicely, so I'm hoping this will as well. Obviously, I chose to disregard colourway all together.

Yarn: Merino Oro, color 728, dyelot 60603. Lana Merino Irrestringibile. 100% new wool. 100g = 1375 yds. Also purchased at my LYS.

Weight: Lace weight. 54 rows and 10 stitches per inch.

Needles: Size 2 (US). Clover bamboo.

It's a delightful pattern to work, and goes surprisingly quickly considering I'm working solely from a chart. Something that always slows me way down. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.