Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tuna Casserole

It had totally slipped my mind that I had promised to post this. So, now that I've remembered, here it is.

Ingredients:

2 packages Tuna in water (or three tins)
1 can French cut green beans (I just prefer how they mix in, as opposed to the other types of cuts)
2 cans condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
2 cups rice (I generally use brown)
4 cups water
1 pound cheddar (I, personally, prefer sharp cheddar)
Black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F (176.6°C). In a medium pot pour in the rice and the water. Do not cover. Bring to a boil and stir occassionally to keep the rice from sticking to the pot and burning. If you bought a block of cheddar instead of pre-shredded, I'd suggest grating it now while the rice is cooking.

After the water has evaporated, your rice is ready to use. Some prefer to do the "cover and ignore" for rice making and my friend prefers his steamer. All methods work, though I find mine is better for holding itself together when dishing it out the next day. This is a great recipe for leftover eating, by the way.

Dump the rice in a casserole dish. Mix in the condensed soup, do not add water. You want it in its condensed state. Open and drain the green beans and add them to the rice and soup. Open and drain the tuna and add it into the mixture in the casserole dish. Occassionally sprinkle in some black pepper. Mix it all up, and then smooth it relatively flat.

Grind a layer of black pepper over the top. Not so much you can't see through it, but a moderate amount.

Cover the mix with the cheese. All of the cheese.

Place it in the oven until the cheese begins to brown.

Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before serving. You'll burn the dickens out of yourself if you don't wait.

This, really, doesn't need anything with it. However, when I was at mom's and made it, she sliced up some fresh tomatoes and they complimented it really nicely.