Monday, August 13, 2007

How Lovely!!

So, I was sitting at home on Saturday - dithering about facing the horrendous allergy attack I knew awaited me should I finish mowing the front lawn. Nothing horribly exciting happening in my life at all. A very quiet, typical day.

Finding excuses to avoid doing laundry (I am so bad)...playing with the dogs and playing my game. Speaking of the game, I managed to get Enheduannah* to level 53, yesterday, due to the help of some new friends. It's so nice when you meet just genuinely nice people.

And, out of the blue, my doorbell rings. I think to myself, as I walk to the door, "I didn't order anything. Who the heck is ringing my bell?" Muttering to the dogs, threatening to buy muzzles and shock collars if they don't stop barking. The threats they, of course, ignore knowing they are totally idle.

I open the door.

And, lo and behold, there is this huge bouquet of flowers. Beautiful, gorgeous, amazing bouquet with the most delightful scent. I look at the young man (almost as gorgeous as the flowers he held) and said, "What in the world?!? People don't send me flowers!" He laughed and asked if I was the person on the invoice. Sure enough...there was my name, big as day. A friend of mine and I had been talking the day before and I'd mentioned I was feeling down. So, out of the blue, just because he wanted to cheer me up...he sent me flowers. I got all teary eyed over it.

But wouldn't you, with flowers like these?



*As for who Enheduanna was in the real world...she was a priestess of ancient Nanna in ancient Akkad (previously Sumer) and came to love and adore Inanna above all the other gods (one has to wonder at the conflict there) and wrote many hyms to this goddess. She is known as the first known author (by name). I've been fascinated with Sumer for a long time, and particularly fascinated by this intriguing woman. Enheduanna, daughter of Sargon of Akkad.

From About.com: Over 53 other hymns survive that are attributed to Enheduanna, including three hymns to the moon god, Nanna, and other temples, gods, and goddesses. Surviving tablets are copies of the hymns from about 500 years after Enheduanna lived, attesting to the survival of the study of her poems in Sumer.