Monday, February 06, 2006

Idle thoughts

Well, as you all might know, if you've read back a little ways, my best friend recently asked me to teach her to crochet and knit. Now, I've been crocheting around 26 years and knitting only a wee bit over one year. I found that I can only really knit on wooden/bamboo needles, though when using Shetland wool I've actually found that Addi turbos are my preferred needle. Ach...sorry, totally got off subject. Anyway, the interesting thing I'm finding is that Debbie seems to be a natural knitter and she's having the most difficult time working the crochet hook so she's crocheting and not trying to knit with a crochet hook. It took me quite a bit of concentrated focus on what she was doing to figure out exactly what she was doing. I've never known someone who was learning both at once, and I've certainly never taught both at once. Separately, sure...together? No. It's been interesting. If you ever want your mind to attempt to derail, switch back and forth between teaching the two - at the same time. You would not believe how hard my mind tries to lock down when I do that. It's quite amusing, actually.

Anyway, in teaching her, I realized that the solution to my lace and fair isle break piece is simple. I'll crochet something. I've been so intensely focused on knitting lately because the light weight of knit is so much more wearable down here, that I have been neglecting my crochet. Admittedly, I just finished that star blanket last month and sent it off - it was a huge success, by the way. So, now I have to come up with something to crochet. I'm thinking doilies, because I like working with thread. Aside from the financial aspect of it, I just like the outcome. Yes, I do have doilies through my house. Sue me. However, I also have this tank top I'd started that I had planned to make a mix of knit and crochet. It would be a tulip stitch (crochet) bottom, with the top part knitted. I started it in Pima Silk color 5224. I love the color, but I'm not so sure I'm liking the pattern for a shirt. I suppose I could finish it just to see what it comes out looking like. It's definitely a no brainer to crochet, since it's simply the tulip stitch worked in the round. A great piece to take a break from the focus on lace.

Which, by the way, is coming along nicely. I'm on row 60 now. I told you I'm a slow knitter. Doesn't hurt that I got diverted by trying some mosaic knitting for a little while. Let's just say....I won't be doing that again. I think I have figured out how to convert the chart and I'm just going to do the design in fair isle. I have a couple of more kippahs I need to make and I was going to try mosaic knitting on them. The stiffness wouldn't be so bad, there.

Kippahs....I don't know why....but Kippahs should be crocheted, so far as I'm concerned. It gives them the perfect texture. Maybe I'm biased because I've always crocheted them and knit just seems like it would be too flimsy.

Debbie is convinced she wants to do granny squares. *headdeskoblivion* She'll learn. Actually, she might not. My mother loves granny squares. I suppose I can show her how to crochet them all together instead of sewing them. My mom crochets them together and it doesn't seem to be as bad. But...I hate making granny squares with a purple passion. *le sigh* Ah, well. I have all sorts of neat designs for them so Debbie should be plenty occupied...who knows...I might wind up making quite a few myself. It is a perfect way to use up those tiny bits of yarn scattered all throughout my house.